Runner Safety

Wednesday- planned, Tempo Run, 7 miles

Ikea is a store that you can spend 3 days in. The boys and I will walk around in there forever finding new organizers, pillows, whatever. Yesterday, I went there with some girlfriends because on Tuesdays kids eat free. (Warning: don’t go on Tue in the summer, it’s so crazy it’ll make you want to throw a tantrum).

Just checking out their bed selection

Just checking out their bed selection

J thought he was on a date;)

I had the Greek salad minus those onions and tomatoes, blah,  I do not like raw onions or giant tomatoes. Oh and most of J’s mac n’ cheese, yum.

I took a pic of us leaving Ikea, it was super windy and J’s face is just so funny.

Runner Safety

After I posted about my run on Saturday my mom called. She wanted to make sure I brought my mace with me because the picture of the trail I was on looked very desolate. I love my mom, I love that she is concerned about me even thousands of miles away=) So, I decided to address what safety measures I take when I run outside.

1. I always tell Josh exactly where I’m running and how long I should be gone.

2. I always have my phone with me. I carry it in this(straps to my arm). I bought it at TJ Max for I think $10.

3.  I always bring mace with me( gift from my parents=)) Small, easy to hold, and has about 10 sprays. They got it from Dicks Sporting Good store for about $40.

photo(277) photo(278)

4. I always make sure it’s light out, I will not run in the dark.

The pictures that I post look like they are desolate because I wait for the runners/walkers to leave view so I can get a ‘pretty’ shot. I apologize mom for scaring you. In fact, there were several running groups out and they even shared their water with me=)

What safety measures do you take?

Do you carry mace?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Workouts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Runner Safety

1. Runner safety is so important! I haven’t been to IKEA in soso long!!!

2. since moving to a city I have been so much more careful with my safety.I always carry my phone now which I never used to do

I always run in populated areas during the day too. I don’t carry mace but have thought about it.

4. Shaylin Brunson says:

Your mom is so cute to call right after you blog, haha. We need to hang out REALLY soon! I miss you girls!

5. I was thinking I should start to carry mace… When we lived in the city I never thought about safety because people were always around. When we moved to the wilderness I insisted I get a dog to run with- I never run without her or a friend!

6. omg. the holding hands pic!!! Adorable!

great safety tips! I ALWAYS have my phone + cash!

7. olivetorun says:

I carried mase when I was living around a big city but I never carry it now….
    I have contemplating getting it again though for long morning runs.

Thanks for the reminder.

p.s. the picture of them holding hands is really adorable.

8. I do most of my running on a treadmill…..can’t wait for some warmer weather for that to change, but I tell someone where I’m going and try to avoid heavily wooded areas. Love the picture of J holding hands with the little girl. Adorable!

9. I always have my cellphone in my arm band as well and I definitely run during the daylight hours as well. I also carry a really heavy water bottle with me (stainless steel) if I’m going out at dawn or for long runs in areas where I know there won’t be too many other people so I can knock someone out if I have to. I have recently debated carrying mace after a man has been yelling “Are you running from me?” and “I’ll catch you one day” when I run in the morning. I’m sure he’s harmless, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I do own mace, I just don’t carry it.

I don’t carry mace, but I always have my phone and i never run after dark.

11. Ashley says:

I always have my phone with me, and try to let my boyfriend know exactly where I will be and when to expect me home. I also try to keep my music really low so I can hear what’s going on around me. Mace is probably a good idea, too!

12. I want to get one of those stun guns to carry. I have mace but forget to carry it a lot. But I always have my phone.

And my twins have that bed at the top of this post! We flipped it over and put a mattress on the floor so it’s now like a mini bunk bed.

13. I love that your mom called you after she read your post. She sounds like a great mom! I usually go running with Dan. If not, I always take my cell phone with me!

14. Jade says:

Babies holding hands! Oh for cute!

15. I think your suggestions are great. A couple of months ago I went on a run in Sedona (an hour away from Flagstaff) alone on a mostly deserted road and my inlaws were really concerned (I appreciated that). I was also bit by a dog a few months back (nothing terribly gory at all). I need to get mace or something and I need to be more proactive about telling people where I’ll be.

Good for you for being safe! This world is scary! And i have never been to Ikea!! I want to so bad!