Race Jitters

Yesterday (Wednesday)- 5 miles, 9:40 pace, slow and steady + arm/ab workout

My last race was the Halloween half back in October. A whole 5 months ago!

The Haunted Half

I didn’t follow a training plan for this upcoming race just made sure each week I did 4 easy(5-7 mile) runs, 1 tempo run, and 1 long run. This week I’m only running 3 days(longest being Monday’s 6 miler) and then Saturday is race day.

The race color is purple, my fav. that's a good sign=)

The race color is purple, my fav. that’s a good sign=)

These next 2 days I think are really important leading up to the race. I try and hydrate as much as possible(all week too), cut out food containing fiber and dairy, and mentally prepare.

Probably a good idea to cut this out...

Probably a good idea to cut this out…

Racing for me is just as much mental as it is physical. I have to go into a race with a plan and an idea of what I’m going to do each mile and then envision it over and over. The course has a couple of hills and isn’t your typical downhill UT race. I would love to PR(who doesn’t?) but I also know that my speed work hasn’t been up to par with where I would need to be to beat my previous time of 1:52. So, we’ll see how much I can push it .

My goals for the race:

1. Enjoy the run and the ability I have right now to run

2. Push it, be comfortable with the uncomfortable

3. Finish strong

How do you prepare for a race?

Do you get nervous to race? No matter how many times I race, I still get so nervous. I literally have nervous butterflies typing this right now. haha

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Race Jitters

1. Ashley @ OurPersonalRecords says:

You’re going to do awesome!!

I get nervous for bigger races, but a little bit of nerve always seems to help a bit 🙂
    Soooo excited for you and wish I was doing one too now 🙂

3. pickyrunner says:

Racing is SO mental! I think you’ll do awesome though if you just stay relaxed and try to have fun with it. Good luck!

4. You go this race! You have been training hard, trust your training

5. Right now my nerves are all focus on the marathon in june, so the race I had this past weekend I wasn’t nervous about. I have a half marathon in 5 weeks and that will probably give me a few more worries if I don’t get my knee pain under control. But I’ve got a 10 miler on saturday which should give me a good idea about where I’m at.

6. Don’t stress too much. You.got.this!!!

7. I usually don’t get nervous until I am standing in my corral. Then for about the first half mile I am still kind of jittery before I calm down! My first time actually “training” (meaning…having some sense of ANY plan on any given day) for a race was my most recent half marathon last weekend, the previous three I just kind of showed up for fun. It made my PR in this last race pretty easy to achieve, ha.

Sounds like you have been preparing yourself well, though, so I’m sure it will go great!! I think you have some great goals!

8. Good luck you can do it just think how great you’ll feel finishing it!

9. Good luck with it! You’ll kill it 🙂 I’m just wondering because I”m a running newbie and don’t know tons yet, why do you cut out fiber?

• Thanks! I cut out fiber a couple days before like veggies because too much fiber doesn’t set well with me when I run. You just have to find what works for you. so I try and have more carbs, water, and salty things because that’s just what I found works for me. Thanks for the questions=)

10. 1:52! DANG GIRL! You are SPEEDY! You’re going to do SO well! I prepare for a race by being really well hydrated and repeating to myself that I can do this. I do get nervous, but I know that physically I can do it and that I will not let myself break mentally. You are going to ROCK this!!! Cannot wait to hear all about it!

11. stephnowirun says:

I’m excited to hear how it goes… the race shirt is adorable.
    I hadn’t heard about cutting out foods like fiber and milk products for the whole week ahead of a race… mostly I have just read about the day before. Have you always done this? Does it help?
    I’m new to racing so I don’t have any tips of hints… sorry!! 🙂

• Thanks for the questions, I’m glad I get to clarify. I don’t cut fiber and dairy stuff out all week, just 2 days before. I’m lactose intolerant so dairy never sets well for me so eating it before a race wouldn’t be good=/ too much fiber before a race can cause diarrhea or an upset stomach(for me at least) tmi? sorry..

12. kennygump says:

good luck this saturday. i’m sure you’ll run great though you’ve been working hard.

Good luck!! And I am so bad about psyching myself out before I run…I always end up doing better when I think positive thoughts!

14. Good luck!!! Water is my favorite race prep.

15. I’ve got a 10k coming up this Saturday! Definitely trying to beat my last slow poke time! I love how you talk about visualizing each mile. That’s so important and I think I don’t do enough of that in training.