Horses and Rest

Tuesday- Rest

A complete rest day. No weights, no cross training, just rest. I had planned on running in the a.m. my clothes were laid out and the alarm was set. When I awoke I felt great, but just felt like I needed to take a rest day. It was hard, I kept staring at my running clothes as they tempted me from the floor, but I didn’t give in.

Somedays, you just need to rest and listen to your body. Tomorrow’s run will be fantastic=)

Monday night for family night we headed to my in-laws. We had another delicious BBQ that included burgers, watermelon, potato salad, and all the other usual suspects. Dessert on the other hand was far from the norm. I present to you, homemade mint oreo cheesecake! The picture doesn’t do it justice, but believe my taste buds, it was delish!

After dinner we headed out to let the boys ride the horses. My inlaws board (and own) horses. J loves them and will sit out there shoving carrots and grass through the fence all day. Well, yesterday his dreams came true and he rode Hollis. Of course he was terrified at first, he’s just a cautious kid and I love it.

SAM_2544

We always love playing with cousins and the night couldn’t have ended any better.

view when we got home

view when we got home

Have you ever ridden a horse?

Ever have days where you just know you need to rest?

Mint Oreo lovers out there??

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Horses and Rest

I love horses! Haven’t ridden one in years but have been wanting to for awhile. I take total rest days when my body tells me. Usually once a week.

2. That cheesecake sounds incredible! Where can I find that recipe?? I definitely have days when I decide I need to rest. It’s important to listen to your body 🙂 Also, I’ve not ridden a horse but it’s on my bucket list!

3. I am just like little J when it comes to h orses! They are so beautiful…from a distance. Every time I ride a horse, I feel so anxious and am just waiting for something bad to happen. I just don’t like to feel “out of control” and I’m not on horses enough to feel comfortable. That’s such a sweet pic of y’all though, definitely frameworthy!

Your Tuesday was just like mine. I had the alarm set for a 5am 6 miler, but I was absolutely exhausted, and my body called for a rest day! Those are great though, they give me time to get pumped up for the next day’s workout.

YES, and that day is today! I am exhausted!
    ANd no I have never ridden a horse, they kind of scare me lol!

5. I have a major, irrational fear of horses. Even just looking at that picture makes me uncomfortable. It’s bad! I’ve been trying to listen to my body more and take rest days when I need them, but I usually do some sort of yoga to loosen me out if it’s not Sunday. Sunday is always my total rest day. I actually woke up this morning really sore and couldn’t figure out why…well I did 2 runs yesterday (only for a total of 5 miles) and pushups/arms. That would explain why my core is so sore. Feels good though!

I love horseback riding, but haven’t been in a long time. Listening to your body is always a good thing! I usually set a workout schedule, but rarely follow it exactly because i try to gauge how I’m feeling…sometimes you just need an unplanned rest day!
    That mint cheesecake sounds awesome- I love mint 🙂

Good job not giving in on a rest day. I always do. I struggle with that a lot. Maybe you can pass your Yoda wisdom along to me. K, thanks. While you’re at it, you may ship me a piece of that cheesecake. Seriously, I’m sure it was the best ever!! Cute pic on the horse! Adorable.

8. rest days are so needed, glad you got to realize that and fit it in.

9. My aunt and uncle used to board horses and my sister and I would clean out the stalls every Saturday morning in exchange the owners would give me and my sister lessons. I’m sure they loved the help! And it was great for us! Basically everyday since March has been a rest day for me!

10. Prayers and Apples says:

I only rode a horse one time during a family vk way back in the day 🙂 ..and yay for rest days and mint oreos!! ♥

11. Rest, yes! I always allow time in my schedule to recharge the batteries! Sundays are always my rest days before my busy work week 🙂

12. ribbonrunner says:

I wanted to run yesterday and as I started I could just tell it needed to be a rest day so I just walked with the stroller and didn’t give myself a hard time for it. I felt much better this morning. It is definitely worth it to listen to your body. Your dessert looks SO yummy!! I can’t have chocolate while I’m breastfeeding 😦 I was sad I missed out on the yogurt meet up with HRG. It would have been fun to meet you.

13. jeksca says:

I have happy happy memories of going to Horse Camp when I was in Girl Scouts. That may have been the last time I rode a horse. It has been a looooong time!

14. Rest days are good when both mentally and physically you need a rest. I am usually bad about knowing my body needs to rest but I just can’t quite give it to myself because it feels so good to run! You kiddo and the doggie are adorable 🙂