Run of Remembrance 10k

Monday- 6.2 miles, 8:32 pace

I got an email Friday evening about a free Run of Remembrance 10k or 5k race scheduled for Monday morning in a nearby city. I invited a couple of friends and we were ready to race!

It was a beautiful morning and perfect 57-60 degree weather. My friend Heather and I ran the 10k together and Kim and her daughter ran the 5k together, how cute are they??

at the finish

at the finish

There were a lot of people racing, even children! This little girl was too adorable, I had to sneak a picture=)

The first couple of miles were a lot of weaving and a very slow pace. Once we broke up from the 5k racers, there was more room to breath. Heather and I split up around mile 3(she had just run 11 miles on Sat, she’s training for her first half!) and I had a specific timed goal in mind. She was running the race more for fun(but ended up only being about 1 min behind me, speedy girl!)

The miles ticked by. It was nice to run the morning of Memorial Day to remember those in my family who have served, currently serving, or those who have passed this last year. We ran by a cemetery, and through it. I felt so blessed to be running and to have the time to reflect on my blessings.

My unofficial time is 52:30, but I might have been 2 minutes faster(according to my watch). Either way, I’m proud of my new PR in the 10k race. I enjoyed being with friends and starting the holiday with a run. I hope this run happens again next year, it was awesome and free!!

Right after the race I got ready and headed to my sisters house for my nephews birthday. We all had such a good time. J even participated in the water balloon fight.

J is in the bottom left

J is in the bottom left, the kitty pool was full of balloons!

My sister had a sandwich bar, she may give Subway a run for their money. So deelish!

Me, my sister Neeley, Leah, and niece Bayley

photo(544)How did you spend Memorial Day?

What are your favorite sandwich toppings?

Favorite running distance?

This entry was posted in Family, Races and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Run of Remembrance 10k

1. I love the 10k. Congrats on your time – so speedy!

Congrats on the PR! That’s a great time!! I haven’t had a water balloon fight in years but definitely want to now 🙂

3. Awesome job! More free races should exist in the world. Also that sandwich spread looks so yummy! My favorite topping is tomatoes.

Congrats on your PR!! And what an amazing race to do it at!!

5. This looks like such a fun day! Congratulations on your new PR 😀

Is it crazy that sandwiches are one of my favorite foods? There are so many different fillings!

6. Hello PR superstar! NICE JOB!!

7. I’ve run a ton of 5k’s and one half marathon, but never a 10k. Congratulations on a great run! Looks like such a great time was had by all 🙂

8. Wow – great job!
    I did the same spread for both my kids family bday parties this year…fresh make your own sandwiches – thery were such a hit – I think I may need to continue the tradition…

All I can take away from this is that KUDOS and CONGRATS on that phenomenal 10K time. You killed it! What a great way to spend the day!!!! i can’t eat many sandwiches since i only eat fish for my meat source, but I guess if i must eat subway, i’m all about all the veggies except tomatoes. i hate tomatoes (but love everything made with them, odd…)! cute pictures of the race too!

• Thanks so much! Ya, I like meat, but I’m not a huge deli meat fan. I actually didn’t have any meat on my sandwich lol Are you a vegetarian or you just don’t like the taste of other meat?

• megbek says:

well, i was a vegetarian but then i welcomed seafood into my diet so technically i’m not – there’s this term I don’t like using “pescatarian” makes me sound barbaric but I guess that’s what i am. haha.

• haha ya that’s too long of a word for me. That makes sense, I just never knew that about you, good to know in case I was wanting to send you some meat, ya know cuz that’s normal of me to want to do lol

• megbek says:

HAHAH this made me LOL at my desk. super embarrassing in this quiet space. you’re in trouble!! 🙂 🙂

Sending meat to blogging pals is NOT the cool thing to do? Shoot. Well now I don’t think I can continue to blog.

10. that is awesome you got your friends involved, I bet they loved that run as well

11. Awesome run! A sandwich bar sounds like the perfect thing to celebrate and cool down 😀

Nice job on the run- looks like a perfect day for it!
    I love the idea of a sandwich bar too! My favorite topping is pickles…hands down!

13. Christie says:

Congrats on your PR. The hard work you are putting in is paying off 🙂

14. pickyrunner says:

Congrats on the PR!!! I love that you were able to do a Run to Remember for Memorial Day. It makes racing that much more special.

15. Pingback: Running buddies > no buddy |