The Whole Story: Running Injury

Tuesday- walk with Heather 2.5 miles

Heather, my usual running buddy was nice enough to go on a walk with me yesterday morning. Let’s be honest, we love running, but we really love chatting. She’s too nice to get up early and walk with me even though she can run.

________________

My Whole Running Injury Story

I figured I needed to fill you in on what the whole running story. In order for you to understand what the doc told me yesterday at my Sports Medicine appointment.

2 years ago when I first started running regularly I began to have upper hip pain where my IT band connects. It would hurt so bad that I would have to take multiple rest days coupled with a lot of massaging for it to feel better.  I thought it was because I held my chunky baby on my left hip all day. I didn’t think anything of it and kept running.

exhibit a: I still hold him on my left side

exhibit a: I still hold him on my left side

My SIL Whitney and I trained for our first half marathon together and often while we were running I would complain to her about my hip. I’d mention how my left leg even makes a clomping noise when I run. I thought it was because of my weak/sore hip. I kept running, ran my first half and then ran 3 more that summer.

SAM_1675

During the winter I kept in half marathon shape and ran on my treadmill with no real pain. Flash forward to 2.5 months ago. I started having a weird pain on the upper left side of my left knee. After a couple of weeks of no running, it felt a little better, but would feel much worse if I ran on it. I thought after some researching online it was just a normal IT band injury.

After going to the Dr. yesterday he confirmed it was my IT band, but after doing several  measurements and stretching of both my legs he announced my left leg is shorter than my right. What? Um, how have I gone 23 years without knowing this? I’m going to get x-rays to confirm his conclusion, if he’s right, then it can be fixed with a simple insert in my shoe.

Because my leg is longer my left hip has turned in and has been trying to compensate for my shorter leg. So, the clomping noise and hip pain totally make sense is now.

Moral of the story, get checked by a Dr. to make sure your internet diagnosis is correct;)

Anyone else have a crazy story?

Do you wear inserts?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Whole Story: Running Injury

1. oh wow, I mean I am glad at least the doctor can explain it and I hope there is something you can do to ease the pain.I mean you are really in tune to how your body ran and sounded which is a good thing, makes it easier for the doctor so see what can help you heal.

2. I think this is pretty good news, no? Having these answers are huge. And inserts seem like a fairly easy solution, although I assume they’ll take a little bit to adjust to. Either way, I hope you’re up and running again soon!!

thats really interesting. I have a similar thing going on with my right hip/knee/back and actually my right leg is shorter that my left…..hmmmm
    I hope the insert totally fixes the problem!

Oh my gosh!! That’s so crazy! I’m glad you figured it out though and hopefully from now on you will feel much better when running!

At least now you know! Hopefully the inserts will help even you out 🙂

6. Katie says:

Hooray for answers!!!! I’ve got hip pain right now, but mine is more where the ball and socket meets. I’m 99% sure I just need to keep strengthening it, and lay off the running for a bit.

7. Rebekah @ fitnesscreatures says:

When we were training for our first half, I started to pull something in my left leg near my groin. I think?? Haha, anyway, I got a brace for it and just tried to ease up on my training. Self diagnosis and remedy. Glad you went to the doctor and he gave you an answer. Hopefully the insert will help you with the pain so you can run without injuring yourself. I would start out again slowly, regardless.

8. MegBek says:

Oh wow to that discovery!!! That’s freakishly cool… Haha. I can’t believe that’s what it might be, but that sounds like a simple enough fix to take care of that for you so you can be back to running! I know how much you miss it!
    IT band injuries are absurdly painful and super annoying… good luck!!

9. That’s great that there is a relatively easy fix for it! It stinks that you’ll be out of commission for a bit but hopefully this will mean no more injuries in the future. 🙂

10. Emmalee says:

That’s essentially what they’re working on fixing in Kate right now. Her hip dysplasia makes her joint move and her left leg is shorter than her right. So she’s stuck in this sling for 3 months so hopefully she can avoid problems later in life! That’s great yours can be fixed with an insert! If this sling doesn’t work we’ll be looking at surgery and they say that when its serious and not caught til adulthood the surgeries are worse and require more. Anyway so I’m glad yours isn’t too bad! I think you’re amazing!

11. freudenberg4 says:

Wow that is crazy! Working at a running store I have heard a lot of times how people have shorter legs than the other, when I am fitting them for a shoe they always take out that insert to try in the new shoes. I also see a lot of people with 2 different sizes feet!

12. I have a friend that had all kinds of hip trouble and now wears a shoe insert and she’s almost good as new!

13. Pingback: A double date with my lil man |