Happy Thursday everyone! I’m really excited to share with you some of my tips to eating healthy. I’ve always lived by the rule of 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want. I want to share a little more with you what I eat on a regular basis.
*** I am not a dietician, but I do have a Bachelor’s Degree in Health Education***
1. Plan and be prepared. I usually boil several eggs, have plenty of fruits and veggies on hand and healthy snack options. If I don’t do this, then I will no doubt go to the candy cupboard(yes I have one, don’t judge) and eat whatever is in there because it’s quick and convenient. So I make the healthy options quick and convenient. Here are some ideas:
pre cut and washed green beans
I love smoothies! I have them for breakfast or lunch most days. I use Light and Fit Vanilla yogurt, ice, and whatever fruit I have on hand. The yogurt is really good, and has a lot less sugar than most yogurts. This girl uses it too;)
2. Portions. The only way I can eat 20% of whatever I want is by eating correct portions. It’s like what you’re parents told you all growing up, “You can’t have dessert unless you finish your dinner.” You need to eat the healthy food to nourish your body, and then you can splurge on dessert or maybe you’re thing is carbs. Mine happens to be both, I love all the foods! I follow this rule that I used to teach my health class pretty close when it comes to my portion sizes for each meal.
3. Eat frequently. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks so I don’t let my stomach get to the grumbling starving stage. When “starvation mode” happens, your body starts storing fats(instead of burning them) because it thinks it’s not going to get food. It’s best to eat right when you start feeling hungry and only eat until you’re satisfied not full to where you’re uncomfortable. Your body needs food to function just like your car needs gas to drive. You have to keep it fueled if you want it to work properly.
4. Drink lots of water. I used to struggle with this a lot but now I make sure to have several water bottles and cups of ice cold water already set up for me to drink. Notice that convenience is key! The more convenient your healthy choices are the better. If you get sick of plain water try adding a little flavor to your water bottle once a day.
5. Get enough sleep. I know that doesn’t sound like it has anything to do with eating but it has everything to do with it. When you don’t get enough sleep you usually want to consume more food to have more energy or you’re too tired to prepare and plan your healthy meals. Get enough sleep and you feel like a million bucks.
what other tips would you add?
how do you like to eat your veggies?