Happy 5 year anniversary to me and Josh! What better way to celebrate than to share something we love doing together, a new DIY project.
I wanted to share with you guys are latest project, board and batten on one of our walls in the master bedroom.
Josh had the idea and I was totally on board(pun intended hehe). I was so impressed with how well Josh did. This was his first project like this and I think he killed it. Here’s how we did it.
Here’s what you’ll need:
wood (we chose 11/16th in. thick wood and 4 inch wood for the boarder, and 3 inch wood for the inside wood). Home Depot already had wood that was primed so we went with that kind. We also decided to replace our skirt boards so that the wood wouldn’t stick out at the bottom.
calk we only need one tube of calk. Make sure it can be painted over
paint, paint brush, roller we used pure white
nails and nail gun
It took us all day Saturday but we were committed. Josh ran to Home Depot after we measured and figured out how much would and supplies we would need. We decided to go with with thicker would on the outer edges, then have 6 vertical planks, with 7 horizontal smaller planks towards the top. That’s the style we wanted, so he got enough wood to do that.
While he was away, I primed the wall. I only had to paint the portion that would have board and batten. Originally the wall was grey, so it would need about 2 coats of paint to fully be covered.
When Josh got back he started on the base boards. He tore out our old ones, then simply nailed in the new ones. I went behind him sanding each nail hole and filling it with putty then sanding it again. Sounds like a lot, but it was quick.
Once that was finished, he put the outer boards up first. We made sure the ones going across the top were level and that the seam was as invisible as possible.
Then we layed out the 6 vertical boards to make sure the spacing was right(we used a measuring tape). Then I would help him make sure each board was level before he nailed it. I went behind him and puttied and sanded on all these as well.
Finally, he just had to cut the smaller 7 horizontal pieces to fit in between each vertical board. Then he calked in all the corners and obvious spaces. We let it dry, sanded one more time, wiped everything with a wet cloth, then painted.
We both painted and got it done fairly quick. We painted over all the boards and wall. I love it!
if you have any questions let me know!