Haunted Half 2017

After a 2 year break from half marathon races, I finally ran one! My sister Bree has been wanting to run her first half for some time now, but I kept getting pregnant haha. I’m so glad she waited for me, because running with my sisters was a highlight for sure.

Breanna(my younger sister 7/7 kids) and Leah(my older sister 5/7 kids) decided to run the Haunted Half. We did the same training plan, but since I live 45 min away from them I never ran with them until race day.

I LOVE running with people when they are running halfs for the first time or 5k’s, or 10k’s. It is so fun to see them push themselves and do something they hadn’t done before.

Race morning we planned to meet at the bus loading at 6:30am. That meant I needed to be up by 5:30 so I could nurse Claire, get dressed, get packed up, and then drive the 30 min to Sugar House. Everything worked out great, and I met up with sisters in line to get a bus that would bring us up Emigration Canyon. I had a big dinner the night before at Olive Garden where I ate 1.5 bowls of minestrone soup, 4 bread sticks, and some salad. I was too full in the morning to eat breakfast so I just brought a protein bar that I could eat before the start.

We got on the warm bus and as we made our way up the canyon we start seeing SNOW! I started to worry a bit since all I was wearing was a tank top and a light running pull over jacket. We each had 2 sets of gloves(that was so helpful!) and long pants on. Luckily, the bus driver let us stay on the bus till right before the race started. I was SO glad. The minute we stepped off the bus, it was FREEZING and so windy. Everyon’es space blankets were whipping us in the face and the giant blow up pumpkin that we were supposed to run through blew over onto the racers! Everyone was in good spirits and we couldn’t stop laughing. It was probably nerves, but it really helped take my mind off of being cold.

The race started and I think we laughed for the first 3 miles buecause they’re a blur haha. We were sliding all over on the ice and Leah’s fanny pack boom box was playing our jams.

We took all drank some gatorade at mile 3, energy beans at mile 6, stopped for a fast potty break at mile 7 and then I had some water at mile 9. We seriously cruised just enjoying the GORGEOUS fall colors all throughout the canyon and chatted and I sipped on a GU for a mile or so. At about mile 10 Bree got a side ache, and we slowed down a bit. Mile 11 we attempted a jumping pic for the photographer haha It was at mile 12 where I think we were all feeling a little sluggish, but then we saw Leah’s family. That gave me so much energy, so we picked it up a bit until we hit a HILL! That was a mean joke. At this point Leah’s stomach wasn’t feeling so great, but she still pushed on. We made it to the finish at 2:02, we haven’t got our official time yet but we’re guessing right about 2 hours since we didn’t start in the front of the race. It was such a great race! Mostly down hill, so my legs were sore for 3 days!

We’re already looking at doing another race, so if anyone wants to join, lets do it!

About Sugar Plum Runner

Welcome to the Sugar Plum Runner! I grew up in WA state, but currently reside in UT with my husband Josh, son Jackson, and 2 daughters Lily and Claire. I love running, but I have never been so inspired to run, race, and blog about it since 4 years ago after I had Jackson. I grew up playing soccer and cheered in high school. My favorite part of both sports(and yes I consider cheer leading a sport) was the conditioning. I found myself running after practice was over on my own. That's when I realized that running may be the sport I really loved.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s