Cooper Dean’s Birth Story

This will be lengthy, I don’t want to forget anything! Let’s back up to the afternoon before I went into labor.

Sunday October 21st started out like any Sunday, nice and lazy. We all slept in, went to our 1pm church, came home and got ready to go to dinner at my mom’s house with all my sisters and their families. Throughout the day I kept feeling the need to nest and get things ready, but I could only hope baby boy would join us that week sometime after my 37 week check up on Tuesday the 24th.

We headed to my moms, ate a delicious Sunday dinner of roast, mashed potatoes and my moms best gravy(my fav meal) and then my sister Neeley foot zoned me for the 3rd time this pregnancy. This time was the first time my feet felt really tender.

We went home and went to bed at 10:30pm and at 1:30am I woke up because I felt water(or what I was hoping was water) run down my leg.  Now it’s been awhile since I’ve wet the bed(haha) so I was hoping it was my water. Luckily, when I stood up more water came, and didn’t stop throughout my whole labor. I wasn’t feeling any contractions at this point besides minor ones that I feel during most of my last trimester. I had never had my water break on its own, so we headed to the hospital as soon as Josh, my parents, and I were ready so about 2am. My dad stayed with the kids till Josh’s mom Lee Ann got to the house to stay the night.

My last belly shot(37 weeks)


By the time we got checked in and a room, it was about 3am. The nurse(Whitney<–She was THE best) checked and it was indeed my water that broke and I was 4cm and 70% effaced. We texted family and got excited! I walked around a bit in my room, they got an IV started just in case I needed any meds, and we waited. My sister Neeley came down and it was really nice to have family there to talk to and keep my distracted. My sister Bree made it just in time about 10 min before Cooper arrived.


At 5am I was 5cm dilated and still hadn’t felt very painful contractions. I started getting a little discouraged because I didn’t know if we would be waiting all day. I moved positions and then the nurse came back in and suggested I get a bag of saline because my contractions were cutting short which usually is a sign of dehydration. So she hooked it up to my IV and within a few minutes my contractions became more steady and more powerful. I rested for the next hour and just let my body do it’s thing. By 6 am I was feeling a lot more painful contractions, I had dilated to a 6. The pain was all still very manageable as long as I just kept breathing through them. One of the most awkward parts of natural birth for me was not knowing what to do with my arms and legs. I know that sounds so weird haha but when you’re in pain your natural instinct is to curl in a ball. But with birth you want to stay as relaxed as possible and let the contractions do what they need to do. I remember laughing with my sister(after a contraction, not during ha) because I told her I didn’t know what to do with my limbs! She said she had never heard it put that way but she totally remembered that feeling. It took a lot of self control to just stay relaxed during each painful contraction, it helped a lot to know they would end and I would get a break.


By 7am I was getting closer because my contractions were getting intense. Nurse Whitney showed Josh and my mom how to use counter pressure…that was a LIFESAVER! Seriously, counter pressure felt so good. During my contractions they would squeeze my hips in, I don’t know why that works, but it was awesome. By 7:30am I told the nurse(new nurse, Whitney had just ended her shift:( )  I needed to push and she wanted to check me. I told her no, but the next second that I wasn’t feeling as much pain(at this point my contractions were rolling) she checked me and said I was a 7.   I insisted I needed to push, NOW, so I did. She asked if I could just breathe for 1 minute my Dr would be there and that she was trying to page her. I started pushing while laying on my left side and Josh and my mom did counter pressure on my hip. I told the nurse the baby was there, so they quickly turned me to my back just in time for the nurse to catch him. Right as they put him on my chest, my Dr walked in. He was delivered at 7:58am.

It was such a wonderful experience. I had never gone natural before and it was so incredible. Josh cut the cord, then I held him/nursed him for an hour before they weighed him. 6lbs 14oz 20 inches long.

Josh got to name him, and he chose(and I agreed with) Cooper Dean(my dad’s middle name).

We are just so happy he is here. More posts to come, so if you have any questions let me know!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Cooper Dean’s Birth Story

  1. Hooray! I’m curious if going natural this time was kind of your plan, or if just being #4 you felt more prepared for that option?

    • theblondehairblueeyedrunner says:

      Thanks friend!
      Going natural was my plan this time around. I wouldn’t change my other births, but with my last one the epidural was VERY uncomfortable and it really freaked me out…enough not to have one again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s